Regular visitors will know by now about the saga of the “The Sheds”. The sheds we have been searching through and some of the discoveries my sister and I have made from our childhood and younger years. This was another surprise.
In my first year at art school we had a sculpture project. I think it was our first. It was definitely one I found exciting. We had to make or find a cardboard box, fill it with bits and pieces and various forms of clay. Then fun, fun, fun….we had to mix a bucket of liquid Plaster of Paris – NO AIR BUBBLES! – and pour it carefully into the box. You can imagine the fun…you can also imagine how many leaking boxes we had. Masking tape is a great help, but even so…
Then came the next exciting part. We had to wait for the plaster to get hot…very hot..magic!! …and then cool down. When the plaster had dried out properly we started digging, digging with knives and bits of wire. It was so much fun!
Yes, we turned positive forms into negative forms…we made interesting holes. Next we got out our chisels and started carving, making edges and even bigger holes. Sometimes bits broke off! Frustration! This piece was obviously a practice one. And a forgotten one. Until 40 years later when I discovered it under a bench in the smaller, older shed which had been used for storage for all that time.
Since it is still October, it is also part of Blogtoberfest 13 Day 19 (yes… I have some catching up too do!)